One thing that experience has demonstrated to the divorce lawyers of Owenby
Law, P.A. is that any dissolution of marriage can develop complications.
Even if your divorce is uncontested, it is strongly recommended that you
retain the services of a qualified family law attorney-particularly if
you have children in common, property or are in need of
alimony or support. If you are seeking a
divorce, contact our Jacksonville law office to schedule an initial consultation.
Uncontested Divorce Checklist for Florida
If you are filing for divorce in Florida, you need to make certain to take
certain measures if you want to ensure a smoother and more efficient process.
The following list is not meant to be construed as legal advice. Contact
a reputable divorce attorney with any legal questions you may have regarding
divorce in Florida.
- Make certain that you qualify for divorce in Florida. At least one spouse
must have been a continuous Florida resident for at least six months prior
to the filing of the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.
- Decide who is going to be the petitioner. To qualify for a no fault divorce,
one party must state that the marriage is irretrievably broken. The other
party will be the respondent.
- If there are children, try to develop a time-sharing (formerly known as
visitation) schedule that is agreeable to all parties.
- Determine whether a request for spousal support (alimony) is appropriate.
- Start tallying your individual and joint assets, debt, income, and expenses
for the financial disclosure and the child support guidelines worksheet.
- File a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the circuit court personally
or through your lawyer.
- If you have children in common, be sure to attend an approved parenting class.
The better prepared you are prior to the filing, the faster you and your
attorney can move through the divorce process. Still, even under the best
circumstances, an uncontested divorce in Florida can take several months.
Professional Divorce Lawyers of Jacksonville, FL
Regardless of whether your divorce is uncontested or you are anticipating
some resistance from your spouse, the attorneys of Owenby Law, P.A. can
make the transition as smooth as possible while protecting your legal
rights. To schedule an appointment for your initial consultation,
call our Jacksonville law office.