Child Support for Child Over 18

Child support payments give a financial benefit to a minor, dependent child. Typically, child support obligations cease and are no longer required when the minor child turns 18 unless contracted otherwise. However, there are instances where a parent may continue to receive child support payments despite the child no longer being a minor. In accordance with Florida Statute 743.07(2), a court may require “support for a dependent person beyond the age of 18 years when such dependency is because of a mental or physical incapacity which began prior to such person reaching majority or if the person is dependent in fact, is between the ages of 18 and 19, and is still in high school, performing in good faith with a reasonable expectation of graduation before the age of 19.” When seeking to modify child support in accordance with Florida Statute 743.07(2), the parent of the dependent, adult child is the proper party to request support for that child in spite of that child being an adult, 18 years old.

If you are seeking to gain support for a dependent, adult child, or you have questions regarding whether you are entitled to support for your child, Jacksonville, FL family law attorney Joy Owenby, and Owenby Law, LLC can help. Time is of the essence, so do not hesitate to schedule an appointment in her Duval County office, contact us at (904) 515-2628 .

The family law attorneys at Owenby Law, LLC serve clients who need representation in all family legal matters in Jacksonville, Duval County, Clay County, Nassau County, Saint Johns County, Orange Park, St Augustine, Middleburg, and all areas of northeast Florida.