What Are the Responsibilities of an Executor?
Our Jacksonville Probate Lawyers Can Serve as Your Legal Guide
In the state of Florida, probating an estate requires a tremendous amount
of work, the brunt of which is borne by the executor. That is why many
executors in Northern Florida retain the services of Owenby Law, P.A.
Our Jacksonville probate attorneys represent individuals who have been
named as the executors of inheritance estates and those who wish to become
the executors of estates where one has not been named.
Need guidance as an executor?
Request an initial consultation by calling (904) 770-3141!
Understanding the Role of an Executor During Probate
If you have been named the executor of an estate, this a role you cannot
take lightly. For this reason, it would be wise to seek the guidance of
a professional probate attorney. It is also in your best interest to be
familiar with what will be required of you during this process.
As the executor of an estate, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Securing and reviewing the decedent’s last will and testament
- Submitting the will to the court and establishing its validity
- Inventorying all of the decedent’s assets and arranging for their appraisal
- Identifying creditors, reviewing their claims, and paying what it owed
- Paying any state and federal taxes that may be due from the estate
- Identifying and contacting heirs and potential beneficiaries
- Distributing assets to the beneficiaries in accordance with the will
- Filing the final accounting with the court and closing the estate
Benefit from the Solid Experience of Our Jacksonville Probate Attorneys
Very few executors are familiar with all of Florida's legal requirements
with regard to estates in
probate. This is why most individuals retain the services of a qualified probate
lawyer from the onset. Regardless of whether you have just learned that
you are the executor of an estate or you have begun the probate process
and are starting to feel overwhelmed by your duties, our firm can provide
you with the guidance you need.
Owenby Law, P.A. has a substantial amount of experience in guiding executors,
or “personal representatives” as they are called in Florida,
through the probate process. When you work with us, you can rest easier
knowing that your case is in good hands. Dealing with the loss of a loved
one is troublesome enough – let our firm take some of the weight
off your shoulders by helping you through this complex legal process.
To learn more about your duties as an executor,
please call us as soon as possible.