Skip to Content
Enforcement of Court Orders

Family Law Court Order Enforcement Lawyers in Jacksonville

Jacksonville Family Law & Divorce Lawyers You Can Rely On

When a judge signs official orders after a divorce, separation, or other legal dispute, those orders must be followed unless they are legally modified or terminated. The court issues custody and support orders with the best interest of both parties in mind, and ignoring those orders could result in serious penalties for the noncompliant party. If your ex refuses to follow court instructions for child support payments, alimony, child custody, or visitation, our firm can help you take the necessary steps to enforce the applicable orders.

Our experienced Jacksonville family lawyers at Owenby Law, P.A. know how difficult it is to deal with a noncompliant ex, especially when finances or custody issues are on the line. For more than 20 years, our firm has worked tirelessly to advocate for our clients, representing their best interests in and out of court. We are passionate about providing our clients with the legal guidance they deserve and we always work as a team to ensure that each case receives the attention it deserves. If you have an issue with your court orders, we want to help you.

Understanding Court Orders

Court orders are legally binding instructions set forth by a judge in the state of Florida or elsewhere. When court orders are issued, all applicable parties are obligated to follow them, even if they do not agree with the terms.

Court orders are often established for the following reasons:

Enforcing Court Orders

If your court orders have continually been ignored, the best solution is usually to take the issue to the court. The court may take a gentler approach at first, trying to encourage the delinquent party to comply with the orders before taking more serious measures. If the negligent party continues to ignore the order, the court will define the act as a civil contempt issue.

Civil Contempt

There are several different ways in which the Florida legal system may deal with ignored court orders. When court-ordered payments, custody orders, or visitation schedules have been ignored, the wronged party may file a motion for civil contempt to hold the delinquent party responsible for their mistakes.

In certain cases involving child support payments, Florida Child Support Enforcement may file the motion on your behalf. In order to file this motion, you must be able to prove that the child support order was valid, the child support was unpaid, and that the paying parent has the ability to pay. Usually, the court will assume that the noncustodial parent can afford payments unless they can prove otherwise.

Potential Consequences

Once the motion for civil contempt is filed, the court will hear the issue. If the judge decides to take action, he or she may find the delinquent party in contempt of court. The court may fine the delinquent party, intercept tax incomes, withhold income payments, place liens on vehicles or personal property, or intercept workers’ compensation funds. In more serious cases, the court might even hold the offending party in jail, revoke their driver’s license, suspend their professional license, or freeze their passport.

Let Our Firm Help

If your ex-spouse or co-parent refuses to abide by court orders, our firm wants to help you fight for what you are entitled to by law. We understand how traumatizing it can be to have your child custody or visitation orders ignored, and we know the frustration that comes with missed support payments. If your court orders are being ignored, we can help you file a motion with the court to hold the noncompliant party responsible.

To learn more about enforcing court orders, contact Owenby Law, P.A. at (904) 770-3141 for legal assistance.

How Can We Help?

  • Meet Your Legal Professionals
    We put the time and care into your case that it deserves, and we are here to guide you through this process.
  • Handling All Aspects of the Legal Process
    We are the reputable and reliable law firm you need on your side during your legal matter. We handle all types of cases!
  • Answers to Your Legal Questions
    The legal process can be daunting, and we understand you may have questions. Review our FAQ page to find helpful answers.

The Benefits of Hiring Owenby Law, P.A.

Owenby Law, P.A. is here to help you get the results you need with a team you can trust.

  • Free Initial Consultations
  • Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases
  • Backed by Over 20 Years of Experience
  • Personalized, Results-Oriented Representation
  • A Team of Compassionate Advocates On Your Side
  • Flexible Payment Plans Available