Skip to Content

Orange Park Modification Lawyer

Helping You Modify Your Family Court Orders

Life is unpredictable. Circumstances change. You may need to change an order related to your children or financial support. Our Orange Park modification attorneys at Owenby Law, P.A. understand that you need a knowledgeable and reliable advisor to help you through the modification process. We can help you determine if you are eligible to modify your court order and, if so, what steps you need to take to get the modification you need.

Contact us today at to discuss your modification options with a member of our team.

Can I Modify My Court Order?

Modification refers to the process of changing or altering a court order that was previously issued in a divorce, custody, child support, or other family-related legal matter.

Some court orders can be modified. For example, you can modify a child custody order if there has been a substantial change in circumstances that affects the child’s best interests. You can modify a child support order if there has been a substantial change in circumstances that affects the parties’ income, the child’s financial needs, or the child’s time-sharing arrangement.

Other court orders cannot be modified. For example, Florida courts will not modify a property division order, as these orders are final and non-modifiable. Similarly, Florida courts will not modify an alimony order unless the order specifically reserves the right to modify alimony in the future.

Our Orange Park modification lawyers can help you determine if you have the right to seek a modification of your court order. If you do, we can help you take the necessary steps to seek a modification in court.

What is a Significant Change in Circumstances?

A "significant change in circumstances" means that there has been a substantial alteration in the circumstances of one or both parties involved since the original court order was issued. This change must be significant enough to warrant a reevaluation of the existing order to ensure that it remains fair and appropriate given the new circumstances.

Common changes that are typically approved by the court as grounds for modification in Florida include:

  • Change in Income: A substantial increase or decrease in the income of one or both parents can be grounds for modifying child support or alimony orders.
  • Relocation: If one parent wishes to relocate with the child, it can trigger a modification of custody or visitation arrangements.
  • Change in Health or Disability: Significant changes in the health or disability status of a parent or child may warrant adjustments to custody, visitation, or support orders.
  • Change in Employment Status: Losing a job, changing jobs, or significant changes in work schedule can impact a parent's ability to fulfill their obligations and may require modification of support or visitation.
  • Remarriage or New Relationship: Changes in marital status or cohabitation may impact financial circumstances and could be grounds for modifying alimony or child support orders.
  • Child's Needs or Preferences: As children grow older, their needs and preferences may change, which could necessitate modifications to custody or visitation arrangements.
  • Substance Abuse or Criminal Activity: If one parent develops substance abuse issues or engages in criminal activity, it could affect their ability to parent effectively and may justify changes to custody or visitation orders.
  • Educational Needs: Changes in a child's educational needs, such as special education requirements or enrollment in a different school, might necessitate modifications to custody or visitation arrangements.
  • Domestic Violence: Instances of domestic violence or abuse can prompt modifications to custody, visitation, or protective orders to ensure the safety and well-being of all parties involved.

How Do I Modify My Court Order?

If you are eligible to seek a modification of your court order, you may need to go to court to get the modification you need. In most cases, you will need to file a petition with the court to request a modification. You may also need to attend a hearing to present evidence and argue your case for a modification. If you are seeking a modification of a child-related order (i.e. child custody, child support, or parenting plan), you will need to demonstrate that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that warrants a modification.

Our Orange Park modification attorneys can help you prepare and file your petition, represent you at your hearing, and help you take all the necessary steps to get the modification you need.

Discuss Your Case with Our Orange Park Modification Lawyers

Our Orange Park modification attorneys have been helping clients modify their court orders for over a decade. We have a comprehensive understanding of the Florida modification laws and have a long track record of success. We can help you understand your rights and options and guide you through the entire modification process.

Contact us online or call to schedule a consultation with one of our Orange Park modification lawyers.

How Can We Help?

  • Meet Your Legal Professionals
    We put the time and care into your case that it deserves, and we are here to guide you through this process.
  • Handling All Aspects of the Legal Process
    We are the reputable and reliable law firm you need on your side during your legal matter. We handle all types of cases!
  • Answers to Your Legal Questions
    The legal process can be daunting, and we understand you may have questions. Review our FAQ page to find helpful answers.

The Benefits of Hiring Owenby Law, P.A.

Owenby Law, P.A. is here to help you get the results you need with a team you can trust.

  • Free Initial Consultations
  • Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases
  • Backed by Over 20 Years of Experience
  • Personalized, Results-Oriented Representation
  • A Team of Compassionate Advocates On Your Side
  • Flexible Payment Plans Available