Immediate Response

To speak with an attorney, send us some details below or give us a call and we will be in touch with you right away.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please enter a message.
    Please select an option.
Child Support Information

Child Support Lawyer in Jacksonville, Florida

Experienced Child Support Attorneys Serving Duval County

Regardless of whether or not a child's mother and father have ever been married, both parents are responsible for the financial welfare of any minor children that they have in common. If you're involved in a divorce that involves children, it is important that you see an experienced child support lawyer near Jacksonville, FL. Our experienced Duval County child support lawyers here at Owenby Law, P.A. are here to help.

Who Pays Child Support in Florida?

In cases where the child lives with one parent for a significantly greater portion of time than the other, or where one parent pays the majority of the expenses for that child, chances are that the other parent is legally required to provide child support.

In many instances, the two parents can reach an agreement between themselves that fairly distributes the financial burden of raising a child. However, there are often times when the child support that's being offered is inadequate, or fortunes change that require a modification to the existing agreement.

If you or your spouse is in the military, then the circumstances may be different than what is mentioned below. However, the attorneys at Owenby Law, P.A. have experience handling cases involving military divorce as well.

In cases like these, a Jacksonville child support attorney can help. Contact Owenby Law, P.A. for a FREE 30-minute consultation! Give us a call today!

How Are Child Support Obligations Calculated in Florida?

Calculations of child support can be complicated. However, an experienced lawyer can determine what the law requires as long as they are provided with the financial records of both parties. If the other parent is uncooperative, those records can be subpoenaed through the courts.

In Florida, child support calculations are based on:

  • Amount of time the child spends with each parent
  • The total monthly incomes of both parents
  • The total monthly expenses of both parents
  • The standard needs of the child like food, clothing, etc.
  • Daycare costs (extended day or childcare costs)
  • The healthcare and educational costs of the child
  • Any delinquent child support that one parent owes

Can Child Support Payments Be Changed or Modified?

Sometimes one or both parents' circumstances change and a child support modification is needed. The supportive parent may suffer a loss of income or a lapse in health. The parent who is receiving child support may have improved his or her circumstances and requires less. The child may now need a special service like tutoring or orthodontics. Even changes in shared parenting agreements can necessitate a recalculation of support.

Whether you are the supporting parent or the receiving one, Owenby Law, P.A. can help you file your modification through the courts.

Child Support for Children Over the Age of 18

In the state of Florida, child support is intended to serve as financial support for a minor, dependent child. Typically, child support obligations cease and are no longer required when the minor reaches the age of 18 (unless contracted otherwise) because they are no longer a child. However, there are certain instances where a parent may continue to receive child support payments despite the child reaching the legal age of adulthood.

In Florida, a child over the age of 18 may still require financial support if:

  • The child is mentally incapacitated, requiring additional support
  • The child is physically incapacitated, requiring additional support
  • The child is in high school, but will graduate before they are 19

When seeking to modify child support obligations in accordance with Florida Statute 743.07(2), the parent of the dependent, adult child is the proper party to request support for that child in spite of that child being a legal adult.

If you are interested in seeking a child support modification, the Jacksonville family lawyers at Owenby Law, P.A. are ready to help you reach an effective solution in the timeliest manner possible.

Do you need legal representation for a child support case? Give us a call immediately: (904) 770-3141 or contact us online to speak with an experienced child support lawyer near Jacksonville, FL.

The Benefits of Hiring Owenby Law, P.A.

  • Free Initial Consultations
  • Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases
  • Backed by Over 20 Years of Experience
  • Personalized, Results-Oriented Representation
  • A Team of Compassionate Advocates On Your Side
  • Flexible Payment Plans Available