Immediate Response

To speak with an attorney, send us some details below or give us a call and we will be in touch with you right away.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please enter a message.
    Please select an option.
Find the Best Arrangement For Your Child

Jacksonville Parental Relocation Lawyers

Thinking of Relocating with Your Child?

At Owenby Law, P.A., our Jacksonville family law attorneys assist parents who need to relocate their residency with their children, as well as parents who are fighting the relocation of their children to distant geographic locations. The state of Florida makes child relocation difficult—although not impossible—without the consent of the other parent.

For years, our legal team has successfully argued the merits of these disputed moves for our clients in the Florida courts. If you are in a child custody dispute that revolves around relocation, you need a Jacksonville child custody attorney from out firm to argue your case and guide you step-by-step through the process.

Take immediate action! Call (904) 770-3141 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Child Relocation Laws in Florida

Generally, moving your child from one residence to another within the same county—or even to an adjacent county as long as it does not significantly hinder the ability of the other parent to share time—does not require a court order or specific permission from the other parent. If, on the other hand, the move takes the child more than fifty miles away from the other parent, the relocation requires either a written agreement between the parents or a court order.

If one of the parents objects to the move, the attorney of the parent who wishes to move must file a petition for relocation through the courts. The objecting parent may either respond to the petition or do nothing. If he or she fails to act, the petition for relocation will automatically be approved. If there is a continued objection, the court will consider a number of factors in determining whether or not to allow the relocation.

Some of these determining factors include:

  • Relationships with people close to the child
  • How the move will affect the child's emotional development
  • The ability of the non-relocating parent to visit via modified arrangements
  • The child's input if he or she is of an appropriate age and mental state
  • The reasons behind the relocation request
  • The reasons behind the objection to the move
  • Whether or not the move would involve improved educational or employment opportunities
  • Any documented history of domestic violence

If both parents agree that the move is in the best interest of the child, they should still file a signed relocation agreement and modify the visitation schedule.

Jacksonville Child Custody Attorneys, Helping You Pursue Your Relocation Goals

If you are seeking a parental relocation, and the co-parent agrees, you should have an experienced child custody lawyer review your agreement and file the modification. We will create a results-driven strategy for your relocation case thanks to our team-based approach to family law cases. Our mission is to secure the results you need to pursue your relocation goals.

For more information about parental relocation, give our office a call as soon as possible.

The Benefits of Hiring Owenby Law, P.A.

  • Free Initial Consultations
  • Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases
  • Backed by Over 15 Years of Experience
  • Personalized, Results-Oriented Representation
  • A Team of Compassionate Advocates On Your Side
  • Flexible Payment Plans Available