Skip to Content

What Happens If My Ex Stops Making Alimony Payments?

Join the Owenby Law Team
Man and woman holding an envelope in their hands that has the word "alimony" written on it.

How to Handle Non-Payment of Alimony

Going through a divorce is difficult enough. After finally settling matters and agreeing on alimony payments, you probably feel like you can move on with your life. But, what if your ex-spouse fails to make good on your alimony agreement? Here are some things you can do.

Reasons Why Spouses Fail to Pay Alimony

Other than downright avoidance of paying their obligations or out of spite, an ex-spouse may fail to pay alimony due to unforeseen circumstances, such as a severe illness or injury. Learning why your ex-spouse is not making payments can help you both reach an agreement that can temporarily reduce alimony payment amounts or stop them for a set period of time until your ex is back on their feet. An attorney can help you draft an agreement and ensure your rights are protected.

In the case of a spouse avoiding their obligation to pay alimony, it is considered contempt. An experienced divorce attorney can help you file a motion for enforcement in court.

How Can Alimony Payments Be Enforced?

A judge may enforce alimony payments through the following methods:

  • Wage garnishment - A person's earnings are withheld by a court order to pay a debt, such as alimony or child support.
  • Writ of execution - An award of a portion of your ex-spouse's bank accounts, CDs, and other assets to satisfy the debt.
  • Money judgment - If your ex-spouse owes you a substantial amount of money, you may be able to ask the courts to issue a money judgment against your spouse for the total amount owed with interest.

Need Assistance With Alimony Payments? We Are Here For You.

Whether you are just starting the divorce process or need assistance with upholding court-ordered alimony payments, we are here to help. When you have questions, we have the answers you need to get you through a difficult time. Our experienced family law attorneys are here to guide you through every step of the way so you can rest assured that all your family law needs are appropriately addressed.

Contact Owenby Law, P.A. today at (904) 770-3141 to schedule a free initial consultation with our team.