Skip to Content

Divorce Decree Disagreements: What to Do When They Arise

Join the Owenby Law Team
How to Enforce a Divorce Decree

a man examining a document with a magnifying glassOnce a divorce decree has been put in place, you may think the ordeal is over. However, there are many instances in which one spouse does not honor the terms of the divorce decree and additional action is required.

Learn how to enforce a divorce decree in Florida in order to protect your rights.

Enforcing a Divorce Decree

After a divorce has been finalized, one spouse may decide not to honor the terms of the divorce decree. This may be because one of the spouses disagrees with the divorce decree or because they misunderstand the intent of the document.

Common examples of divorce decree violations include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Failing to vacate or sell the family residence

  • Refusing to pay spousal support or child support

  • Failing to adhere to the shared parenting agreement

  • Failing to turn over a pet assigned in the decree

  • Failing to pay off designated debt obligations

Luckily, divorce decrees are strictly enforced by the courts, and failure to comply may result in fines and jail time for the non-compliant spouse. Depending on the facts of the case, a judge may hold the non-compliant spouse in contempt, determine a time to gain compliance from them, and amend the divorce decree.

If you have recently divorced your spouse and they have not complied with the divorce decree, our Jacksonville family law attorneys are here to help. At Owenby Law, P.A., we know it’s frustrating to deal with an uncooperative former spouse. We’re here to assist you in enforcing the divorce decree so you can move on with your life.

Contact us today at (904) 770-3141 to learn how we can help you.