Skip to Content

What is Dissolution of Marriage?

Join the Owenby Law Team

a gavel next to wedding ringsIf you would like to end your marriage in the state of Florida, you’ll need to obtain a dissolution of marriage for you and your partner.

Read on to learn more about what that means.

Dissolution Explained

You probably know it as divorce, but a dissolution of marriage is the official legal end of a marriage in this state. When you have your marriage dissolved, it legally ends the marriage. Unlike an annulment, which releases the marriage as it if never existed, a dissolution provides an official termination of the relationship.

How to Have Your Marriage Dissolved

In order to have your marriage dissolved, or get a divorce, you’ll need to file a divorce petition, which is also referred to as a petition for dissolution of marriage. In Florida, there are several different forms to fill out for the situation you may be in.

While it is possible to do all this yourself, it’s a good idea to seek help from an experienced family law attorney. A skilled attorney will know the best forms for you to submit and where to submit them.

Beginning the Process of Dissolution

First, you’ll need to file the petition for dissolution of marriage. Since you filed the petition, you’ll be referred to as “the petitioner” for the course of the case.

Next, your spouse will need to file an answer within 20 days from the date you filed the petition. Since your spouse did not file the petition, they’ll be referred to as “the respondent” for the course of the case. The respondent has the opportunity to admit what facts in the petition are true, which parts they disagree with, and which parts they don’t know about. Your spouse may include a counter-petition for dissolution of marriage in order to bring additional elements to the court.

There are several steps you’ll need to take in order to complete the dissolution, but the aforementioned measures are the first two things you and your spouse will need to do.

We Can Help

If you’re ready to end your marriage, we’re here to help. Our team at Owenby Law, P.A. is highly experienced in family law matters and we have helped many others end their marriages amicably. Don’t spend another minute in an unhappy marriage, contact us with your concerns right away.

Contact Owenby Law, P.A. today at (904) 770-3141 to speak with our team.