Changing Your Name After Divorce

Changing Your Name After Divorce

You may have gone through a lot during your divorce, and one of the things that may have changed is your name. Whether you took your spouse's last name when you got married or reverted back to your maiden name, you may want to change your name again after getting divorced.

Why Change Your Surname?

After a divorce, some people choose to change their last name as a way of starting fresh. This can be an empowering decision, particularly if the person has taken back their maiden name. In some cases, changing a last name can also help to distance oneself from a difficult past.

For example, someone who has left an abusive relationship may want to change their name to symbolize their new status as an independent individual. Whatever the reason, changing a last name after divorce is a personal decision that should be made without pressure from others.

How Do I Start?

While the process of changing your last name post-divorce varies in most jurisdictions, the method in most states is relatively straightforward. There are three scenarios that may apply to your situation:

  • Court Order Within Divorce Decree - In many cases, you can request a judge to submit an order regarding your name change in the divorce paperwork.
  • Request to the Court - If a court order for your name to be changed is not in the final divorce papers and the divorce has been finalized, you can request for the court to modify the verbiage of the decree to include the name change.
  • Just Start Using it Again - In some states, as long as you have evidence of your previously used name, you simply need to begin using it again.

What to Keep in Mind

If you have reverted to your maiden name or chosen to change your name entirely, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:

  1. You must update your driver's license, passport, and other government-issued ID. In most cases, you will need to provide certified copies of your divorce decree.
  2. You will need to notify your bank and other financial institutions of your new name. It is also a good idea to tell your employer so that they can update your records.
  3. Don't forget to update your contact information with friends and family.

Considering a Divorce in Jacksonville, Florida?

At Owenby Law, P.A., our attorneys understand that clients going through a divorce are under immense stress, which is why we strive to provide the best possible service and make the process as smooth as possible for our clients. We understand that no two families are alike, so we tailor our approach to fit each client's individual needs and objectives.

If you are struggling with the thought of whether or not you want a divorce, call us today at (904) 770-3141 or schedule a free initial consultation online by filling out our form.


Get an Immediate Response

We Are Standing By & Ready to Help With Your Case
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.