Skip to Content

What Happens if My Ex-Spouse Refuses to Sign Divorce Papers?

Join the Owenby Law Team
A hand holding a pen across a paper on a desk and another person's hands folded on top of the paper.

Can Your Ex Hold Up a Divorce?

Failing to respond to a divorce petition in Florida has consequences, and while it may make the process more frustrating to deal with, know that the courts won't make you stay married to your spouse forever. When dealing with a problematic and unagreeable spouse, here's what you can do to get your divorce, whether they want it or not.

Common Reasons Why Spouses Refuse To Sign Divorce Papers

There are many reasons why a spouse may refuse to sign divorce papers. Some of the most common reasons are:

  • Your spouse is trying to make things more difficult for you
  • Your spouse believes that not signing divorce papers will keep you together
  • Your spouse won’t sign as a method of retaliation
  • Your spouse is refusing to sign to get you to give up or meet their unfair demands

Your Options When Your Ex Won't Sign Divorce Papers

If you find yourself in a situation in which you are not getting any further in your divorce because your ex won't sign, in some cases, a judge may give you the option to process as if your divorce was uncontested. However, if children, custody, child support, and alimony are involved, this can be a trickier situation to navigate. Another option is petitioning the court to enter a default judgment against your spouse for failing to respond to the divorce. They will have 30 days to respond, and if they fail to respond within that time limit, you will receive a default judgment. A skilled divorce attorney can assist you with the best legal options that work for your situation.

Related Article: How Do I File For Divorce If I Don't Know Where My Spouse is?

How To Get Help With a Florida Divorce Contact Owenby Law, P.A.

If you're ready to proceed with a divorce, our experienced divorce lawyers are prepared to help guide you every step of the way. Let us protect your rights. With decades of family law experience, you can trust us with your case!

Call (904) 770-3141 or fill out this short form now for a free initial consultation for your case!