Skip to Content

My Ex Won't Honor the Terms of Our Divorce. Now What?

Join the Owenby Law Team

Not every divorced couple can get along amicably. In fact, the bitterer a couple is in the divorce, the less likely they are to comply with a court decision that isn’t necessarily in their favor. In other circumstances, even with amicably divorced people, one spouse could neglect the terms of the divorce based on irresponsibility or a change in condition. Whatever the circumstances of your particular case, there are actions you could take to ensure your ex does comply with the terms of the divorce.

Divorce terms, particularly for things such as child custody and child support, are typically court ordered. People who are ordered by a judge to pay a certain amount or spend a certain amount of time with their children must do so by law. When they fail to do so without informing the court or their spouse of why, this reticence can be problematic. After all, court-ordered child support is typically issued in the best interests of the child. Without that support, the custodial parent may not be able to cover the full expenses of housing that child.

If your spouse has defied court orders, a judge can hold him or her in contempt. Contempt of court means someone has failed to obey orders and can be subject to fines, sanctions, or incarceration. In order to file for a motion for contempt, your ex must have violated a court order that clearly defines an obligation or requirement, must have an ability to comply with the order, and must have willfully refused to comply with the order.

If you think your spouse fits into this category, let us help. An experienced Jacksonville divorce attorney can help you properly bring these issues before a court. Relying on a skilled lawyer can be helpful in court, particularly if certain procedural rules must be followed. Let us look over the circumstances of your case and offer you legal advice regarding your options. If you need to go to court, we can advocate for you. Our attorneys have more than a decade of collective experience to offer your case. Let us see what we can do for you.

Contact us at (904) 770-3141 or fill out our online form to schedule a free initial case consultation today.