Blog Posts in 2014

Blog Home
  • Power to Redirect Child Support Payments

    Posted By Owenby Law, P.A. || 23-Nov-2014

    Florida law gives the court the authority to redirect child support payments to the person with whom the child resides. This means that if your child is living with a third party, such as a relative, the court can order that payments be directed to that person rather than the non-paying parent. The court can also order both parents to pay support to that third person with whom the child resides. ...
    Continue Reading
  • Parental Rights Terminated Due to Incarceration

    Posted By Owenby Law, P.A. || 16-Oct-2014

    Having a child is a momentous occasion for a person. Unfortunately, being incarcerated can complicate this major event for many people. An incarcerated parent may be forced to forfeit their parental rights. While it is improper for parental rights to be terminated if a parent is unable to financially provide for a child due to incarceration, termination may be considered if the parent's ...
    Continue Reading
  • Failure to Exercise Time-Sharing Can Result in Increased Child Support

    Posted By Owenby Law, P.A. || 8-May-2014

    In most family law cases involving minor children, there is the responsibility as a parent to support the child(ren) after a divorce or the establishment of paternity. In Florida, both parents are required to financially support the child(ren), but only the non-residential parent will be directed to pay his/her portion of the support to the other parent. This does not mean that the residential ...
    Continue Reading
  • Effect of Reproductive Technology on Family Law

    Posted By Owenby Law, P.A. || 21-Apr-2014

    Advances in reproductive technology, including in vitro fertilization and surrogates, have led to changes and modifications in family law cases. For instance, before such technology, the birth mother of a child was presumed to be the mother and to have all legal rights to the child regardless of her marital state. The biological father, however, if not married to the birth mother, must establish ...
    Continue Reading
  • 4 results found. Viewing page 1 of 1.